• Check out the new poll!

Sudan’s Water Crisis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sudan’s Water Crisis

Cole Noss, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Sudan is currently undergoing a water dilemma. As defined by the United Nations Environment Program, they are under a critical case of water stress. Currently, 2% of any water available can be used for domestic use and the other 98% must be used towards cultivating land as with lack of water the land returns to its arid environment causing intense desertification.

Most women and children must walk miles a day to a distant water source, one of which is a bank of the Nile River. Unrestricted access to this has angered nearby countries like Egypt and Ethiopia. That has made many people seek other sources such as standing ponds, which can cause disease and ultimately destroy villages.

Currently, the Saint Philip Neri Club is collecting money going towards well building in these desolate areas. Much available water is underground and could be accessed with a well. To raise awareness, the club will be sponsoring daily water facts during lent on the announcements and plans on giving all proceeds to this cause on World Water Day.

So, if you see the St. Philip Neri Club selling water bottles or collecting money, know that it is a great cause and is helping those who are in dire need.

Photo Credit: http://globalsistersreport.org

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Cole Noss, Staff Writer

Hello, I am Cole Noss. I am a member of the Class of 2020. In addition to writing for the Omega, I am also part of the History and Politics, Saint Philip...

Leave a Comment

Any offensive, obscene, rude, threatening or distasteful comments will not be tolerated and will be promptly removed

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    OP Alums Come Back for Inspiring Presentation

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    The Saint Philip Neri Club Welcomes CRS to OP

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    The Official Handball Power Rankings for 2019

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    OP Sports

    OP Varsity Basketball Mid-to-Late Season Update

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    An Interview with OP Fencer Cole Noss

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    Interview with FIFA Referee Mark Geiger

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    OP Musicians Participate in CJMEA Honors Band (Full Concert Audio Found Below)

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    OP Sports

    OP Varsity Swimming Update

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    Two OP Omega Members Intern with Swimming World Magazine

  • Sudan’s Water Crisis

    Showcase

    Recapping Senior Night with OP Puck Captain John Meehan

Navigate Right
Sudan’s Water Crisis